Owl Labs is hiring a Senior Windows Systems Software Engineer to join our Engineering team. Our work is very important to us, but so is our life outside of work. Owl Labs supports many programs to improve work-life balance including workplace flexibility. We support running complex Windows applications inside of our Owl Labs Products and the role includes making them work as seamlessly as possible. You will often be required to put your security hat on while doing code reviews or designing a new feature. Your code will be expected to interoperate well with other popular Windows software and improve the performance of the product whenever possible.
The ideal candidate will help customize Windows 10 to create a kiosk-like environment for a custom hardware appliance that’s able to interact with third-party software applications as well as wired and wireless hardware devices. Work with a global team of highly motivated hardware & software engineering teams.
What You’ll Do
- Responsible for Windows 10 Software System Design.
- Develop applications utilizing Windows API to control displays, WiFi, Bluetooth, and USB devices.
- Develop drivers and other low-level software for USB comms.
- Help create a robust and secure OTA update system for custom applications, programs, and services.
- Devise clever hacks to control how third-party applications behave.
- Modify registry to customize Windows appearance and behavior.
- Develop scripts and processes necessary for system maintenance.
- BS or Masters in Computer Science or similar engineering degree, or 7+ years of equivalent industry experience.
- In depth experience with Windows 10 operating system, including Windows API, user management, configuration, registry, updates, and security.
- Experience developing applications and services for Windows 10.
- High Degree of understanding of programming paradigms, fluency in C#, .NET, and C/C++.
- Excellent written and verbal communications skills.
The best candidates will have:
- Experience with Windows SW driver development experience.
- Experience with Windows security.
- Experience with HA, Backup, or Disaster Recovery software.
- Similar experience with Linux based systems.
Why work with us?
- Work from Home & be part of our team (Slack, Zoom, Bitbucket, and more).
- Get paid to Contribute to open-source projects.
- Personal growth experience by helping to build a truly successful company.
- You’ll be one of the first Windows Software Engineers hired.
- Career Growth with opportunity to earn advancement.
- Work with a stellar team where you can have a huge impact.
- Generous Stock Options.
- We Pay 100% of your: Health, Dental, Vision, Life Insurance, FSA, and more.
- Fun team atmosphere with games, celebrations, and much more!
Owl Labs is over 40% remote and headquarters are based in Boston, MA. This role is a Boston-based position, though our team is currently working 100% remote due to COVID-19.
Who We Are
The environment at Owl Labs has been shaped by the top tech, marketing and sales talent leading it. We share a strong culture of support, learning, and collaboration. Embodying empathy for the remote worker or team, a love of emerging technology, and hustle and grit, everyday the Owl Labs team is shaping the future of work. From leadership to our co-op interns, we encourage creativity, breaking the mold, moving fast to learn quickly and then adapting. It’s a culture of trying new things to stay ahead in the marketplace, and embracing new ideas at every level. We embrace remote work, today and everyday with over 40% of employees working remotely (pre-COVID). The Meeting Owl products contribute directly to the company’s success; it’s at the core of who we are and what we do.
Owl Labs is an Equal Opportunity Employer committed to our values of embracing inclusivity and creating a culture where everyone feels respected and connected, no matter the location of their work environment. We invite applications from people of all walks of life and are committed to providing reasonable accommodations for candidates with disabilities in our recruiting process. If you need accommodations due to a disability, please let us know.
What We Offer
- Option to Work Remotely: We practice what we preach. Employees work at our Boston HQ, across the US, and often work a hybrid mix of in-office and remote.
- Flexible Schedule: We all work hard, and so we believe in working whenever you're at your best.
- Free Health Insurance: Enroll in Owl Labs's health plan for $1 for you and your family.
- Unlimited Vacation: We have big goals. It makes sense to take what you need, when you need it.
- Celebrate Inclusivity: Owlers get important holidays, including International Women's Day, Indigenous People's Day and MLK Day.
- Incredible Team: Learn alongside phenomenal folks from some of Boston's most successful tech companies.