Owl Labs is seeking an Engineering Technician to join our hardware product development team. This will be a key team member providing timely assembly, test, and laboratory support to the engineering team developing Owl Labs’ groundbreaking products.
A variety of activities are included in this role to ensure colleagues in multiple competencies have what that they need for success. In addition to direct support of the development team, the role includes setup and regular management of a prototype and test lab spaces.
What You’ll Do
- Support engineering team
- Interface with many team members
- Manage and prioritize multiple requests
- Provide excellent customer service
- Provide logistical support to ensure team has the resources they need
- Assemble and test prototypes
- Fabricate electrical and mechanical components
- Assemble and rework systems
- Perform functional tests
- Manage laboratories, materials, tools, and equipment
- Ensure lab spaces are setup, stocked and maintained
- Procure, track, and calibrate common tools and equipment
- Setup and perform tests
- Design basic measurements for system testing
- Perform and capture results
- Assist with setup and operation of test fixtures
- Troubleshoot and repair systems
- Assist with teardown and testing of systems
- Help repair and maintain prototypes
- Document procedures and results
- Document various assembly and test procedures
- Capture and publish test results
The ideal candidate will have a variety of hands-on skills and experience working in a team developing electromechanical products. Additionally, the candidate will be motivated to engage with the entire team, learn new things, and find solutions to problems encountered.
- Familiar with Relevant Technologies
- Systems based on Windows, Android, and Linux
- Embedded electronics
- Electromechanical systems including optics and acoustics
- Capable of Testing and Troubleshooting
- Experience with using a range of mechanical and electrical test equipment
- Familiar with measurement concepts
- Able to understand electrical schematics, mechanical CAD, and test procedures
- Skilled at Various Hands-on Tasks
- Electronics prototyping including hand soldering, building cables, and system assembly (IPC soldering certification is a plus.)
- Mechanical system prototyping including assembly, rework, and basic machining
- 3D printing experience
- Eager to learn
- Able to prioritize and manage time well
- Strong Customer Focus
- Experience supporting hardware development teams
- Effective verbal and written communication skills
- Makes sure the right work is done well
- Problem solver with a grasp of core system concepts, able to make things work
- Experience with Raspberry Pi or Arduino
- Able to write simple software
Owl Labs is over 40% remote and headquarters are based in Boston, MA. This role is an on-site position. Our team is currently working 100% remote due to COVID-19.
Who We Are
The environment at Owl Labs has been shaped by the top tech, marketing and sales talent leading it. We share a strong culture of support, learning, and collaboration. Embodying empathy for the remote worker or team, a love of emerging technology, and hustle and grit, everyday the Owl Labs team is shaping the future of work. From leadership to our co-op interns, we encourage creativity, breaking the mold, moving fast to learn quickly and then adapting. It’s a culture of trying new things to stay ahead in the marketplace, and embracing new ideas at every level. We embrace remote work, today and everyday with over 40% of employees working remotely (pre-COVID). The Meeting Owl products contribute directly to the company’s success; it’s at the core of who we are and what we do.
Owl Labs is an Equal Opportunity Employer committed to our values of embracing inclusivity and creating a culture where everyone feels respected and connected, no matter the location of their work environment. We invite applications from people of all walks of life and are committed to providing reasonable accommodations for candidates with disabilities in our recruiting process. If you need accommodations due to a disability, please let us know.
What We Offer
- Option to Work Remotely: We practice what we preach. Employees work at our Boston HQ, across the US, and often work a hybrid mix of in-office and remote.
- Flexible Schedule: We all work hard, and so we believe in working whenever you're at your best.
- Free Health Insurance: Enroll in Owl Labs's health plan for $1 for you and your family.
- Unlimited Vacation: We have big goals. It makes sense to take what you need, when you need it.
- Celebrate Inclusivity: Owlers get important holidays, including International Women's Day, Indigenous People's Day and MLK Day.
- Incredible Team: Learn alongside phenomenal folks from some of Boston's most successful tech companies.