Owl Labs is a collaborative tech company, creating an equalized meeting and learning experience for all, wherever participants may be. Powering hybrid teams and remote work is in our DNA. Owl Labs has been a leader when it comes to celebrating and connecting hybrid teams and classrooms -- meaning both in-office and remote workers, in-room students and at-home learning. We’re best known for the Meeting Owl product line, a smart 360° camera, mic, speaker all-in-one solution. Sitting in the center of the table, the Meeting Owl uses vision and voice recognition to shift the camera to focus on who’s speaking, giving all participants a feeling as if they’re in the same room. With the continued rise of hybrid teams and remote workers, our products allow for better collaboration and productivity no matter your location.
Our award-winning product, the Meeting Owl Pro, has been recognized by CES Innovation Awards 2020, Red Dot Design Awards 2020, SXSW Innovation Awards 2020 and our team recognized as an Inc. Best Workplaces 2020 and the esteemed Inc.’s Editor’s List.
We are seeking a hands-on Director of Human Resources with outstanding vision to design highly functioning organizations in a hypergrowth environment. We doubled our organization in 2020, and are planning for similar growth in the next couple of years. This individual will help deliver scalable policies and programs which shape the employee lifecycle, drive engagement, and reflect Owl Labs’ culture and values. This is a unique opportunity to play a significant role in designing and implementing HR processes for a fast-growing innovative startup.
What You’ll Do
You will be responsible for all human resource functions which includes the following:
- Champion Owl Lab’'s values and culture to plan, lead, develop, coordinate, and implement policies, processes, training, and initiatives to support the organization’s human resource compliance and strategy needs.
- Develop and drive high quality execution of programs such as organizational planning, diversity and inclusion initiatives, talent acquisition and development, compensation and benefit planning, performance management, health and wellness programs, and employee practices, procedures, and engagement.
- Ensure company policies are communicated clearly and administered in compliance with all federal and state laws/regulations affecting human resources management. Recommend and implement changes to existing plans and policies to stay current and aligned with laws, trends, and competitors.
- Drive HR process optimization and leverage our HR systems to provide insights for scaling up our organization.
- Maintain overall supervision of the organization's recruitment, placement, and development programs and assure compliance with EEO regulations.
- Provide expertise, thought leadership, and best practices to diversity and inclusion issues and opportunities.
- Listen to and understand employee needs and facilitate effective communication channels between leaders and associates. Act as a point of resolution for conflict and escalation issues.
- Provide mentorship and leadership to the HR & Recruiting team.
- Manage the annual benefits open enrollment process, including partnering and negotiating with external vendors, preparing communications for employees, and working with the HR team to ensure employees are well informed and engaged.
- Manage and track HR metrics and produce reports as necessary.
We are looking for a Director of Human Resources who is eager to roll up their sleeves and build processes that will embody the innovative, people-minded culture of Owl Labs. This person must be a leader who will deep dive into existing HR processes and develop improvement ideas for both current challenges and future problems we may encounter.
More than a candidate that checks every box, we’re looking for people who are excited to work, learn, and grow at Owl Labs—no matter their background or how they identify. If that’s you, we hope you’ll apply for this role.
- 10+ years' experience in human resources departments.
- 3+ years' experience in an HR leadership position.
- Excellent people management and interpersonal skills. Ability to build rapport and trusting relationships with all levels of organization.
- Excellent written and verbal communication and team management skills.
- Enjoys working in an agile, fast-paced, startup environment. Ability to wear multiple hats.
- Independent, self-starter - able to set agenda and drive progress with little direction.
- Energetic can-do attitude. Committed to acting as a change leader for improvements.
- Possesses critical thinking and decision-making, analytical problem solving, business astuteness, and process orientation skills.
- Superior organization, attention to detail, and communication skills.
- Ability to work with teams at all levels of the organization. Collaboration is exciting to you and you enjoy understanding the perspectives of others.
- Leadership and cross-functional collaboration experience with demonstrated examples of impact.
- Knowledge of integrated HRIS/Payroll/Benefit systems (Paylocity experience desirable).
- Ability to multi-task and synthesize multiple perspectives to get the most important thing done.
- Highly respected and approachable. Ability to be agile, tenacious and maintain a sense of humor.
- Experience working with small to mid-sized startups is a plus.
Owl Labs is over 40% remote and headquarters are based in Boston, MA. This role is an on-site position, though our team is currently working 100% remote due to COVID-19.
Please submit a cover letter with your application explaining why you think you’d be a great fit as our Director of Human Resources.
Who We Are:
The environment at Owl Labs has been shaped by the top tech, marketing and sales talent leading it. We share a strong culture of support, learning, and collaboration. Embodying empathy for the remote worker or team, a love of emerging technology, and hustle and grit, everyday the Owl Labs team is shaping the future of work. From leadership to our co-op interns, we encourage creativity, breaking the mold, moving fast to learn quickly and then adapting. It’s a culture of trying new things to stay ahead in the marketplace, and embracing new ideas at every level. We embrace remote work, today and everyday with over 40% of employees working remotely (pre-COVID). The Meeting Owl products contribute directly to the company’s success; it’s at the core of who we are and what we do.
Owl Labs is an Equal Opportunity Employer committed to our values of embracing inclusivity and creating a culture where everyone feels respected and connected, no matter the location of their work environment. We invite applications from people of all walks of life and are committed to providing reasonable accommodations for candidates with disabilities in our recruiting process. If you need accommodations due to a disability, please let us know.