Achieving work-life balance is easier said than done. Our attention is pulled in different directions throughout the day, and it can be challenging to prioritize our work, health and wellness, family, and personal interests. It's especially difficult if you work from home and the line between work and personal life can be blurred.
The State of Work Life Balance study found that only 74% of work is done during normal working hours. This means more than a quarter of our work is done before or after work, or on weekends. These hours are times that should be used for rest and relaxation so you're refreshed and can spend your downtime on the things you care about. Taking a break and setting clear boundaries between work and personal time helps you reset and be more productive during work hours, and lowers your risk of burning out.
Sometimes life feels like a juggling act. Each facet of our lives is up in the air and requires our attention, and we have a sense of guilt or disappointment when we drop a (metaphorical) ball.
If you need some inspiration to help balance it all, check out these work-life balance quotes.
1. "We think, mistakenly, that success is the result of the amount of time we put in at work, instead of the quality of time we put in." – Arianna Huffington
2. "You will never feel truly satisfied by work until you are satisfied by life." – Heather Schuck
3. "The key is in not spending time, but in investing it." – Stephen R. Covey
4. "We need to do a better job of putting ourselves higher on our own 'to do' list." – Michelle Obama
5. "You can't truly be considered successful in your business life if your home life is in shambles." – Zig Ziglar
6. "Never get so busy making a living that you forget to make a life." – Dolly Parton
7. "Time is the coin of your life. It is the only coin you have, and only you can determine how it will be spent. Be careful lest you let other people spend it for you." – Carl Sandburg
8. "You can't have everything you want, but you can have the things that really matter to you." – Marissa Mayer
9. "Time is really the only capital that any human being has, and the only thing he can't afford to lose." – Thomas Edison
10. "Don't confuse having a career with having a life." – Hillary Rodham Clinton
11. "A time for everything: a time to relax and a time to be busy, a time to frolic and a time to labor, a time to receive and a time to give, a time to begin and a time to finish." – Jonathan Lockwood Huie
12. "Work is a rubber ball. If you drop it, it will bounce back. The other four balls—family, health, friends, and integrity—are made of glass. If you drop one of these, it will be irrevocably scuffed, nicked, perhaps even shattered." – Gary Keller
13. "Trying to do it all and expecting that it all can be done exactly right is a recipe for disappointment. Perfection is the enemy." – Sheryl Sandberg
14. "It's all about quality of life and finding a happy balance between work and friends and family." – Philip Green
15. "Balance is not better time management, but better boundary management. Balance means making choices and enjoying those choices." – Betsy Jacobson
16. "Invest in your work life balance. Time with friends and family is as important as times at work. Getting that out of balance is a path toward unhappiness." – Stephen Gillett
17. "Happiness comes from living as you need to, as you want to. As your inner voice tells you to. Happiness comes from being who you actually are instead of who you think you are supposed to be." – Shonda Rhimes
18. "You will never find time for anything. If you want time you must make it." – Charles Buxton
19. "You can have it all. You just can't have it all at once." – Oprah Winfrey
20. "You can't do a good job if your job is all you do." – Katie Thurmes
These quotes come from some remote work thought leaders who know a thing or two about achieving work-life balance while working from home.
21. "We've always had a policy where the emphasis was on results over face time, and where people could build their work around their life versus the other way around." – Katie Burke, Chief People Officer at HubSpot
22. "Over time, I've found two things to be very important. This is a bit cliche and everybody says this but it's really true: Rest is very important. And time off is very important. Most people that I know do their best work after proper rest." – Gonçalo Silva, CTO of Doist
23. "Some people on our team know how they work best, so instead of working from home every day, they'll go work at a coffee shop or at a co-working place because they want the energy of other people around them. Your awareness of where you derive your energy from is one big consideration of how well you can work remotely." – Hiten Shah, Co-Founder of FYI, Product Habits, and Crazy Egg
24. "I used to sit in the kitchen and work until all hours of the night because my office was in the middle of the space I was in the most at that time. Now, having a separate space is really vital for keeping that balance." – Kathleen Booth: VP of Marketing at IMPACT
25. "I block off my personal time so people know it's okay for them to do. I tell people I have times when I'm not available and, as a result of that, hopefully people can decide for themselves to block off time to go to the gym, for example." – Suneet Bhatt, GM at Crazy Egg
Striking a balance between work and life can be a challenge. Making time for the things that matter most to you will not only increase your happiness, but it can also lead to a productivity boost at work.
Want to learn more? Check out these home office setup tips for maximum productivity next.